Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week’s theme is related to Thanksgiving and a suggested example is to list out the top ten books we are thankful for.
As every book affects me (whether it be something I enjoyed or something I didn’t) I am thankful for every book I have ever read…so instead of writing about ten books I am thankful for I thought I would list why I am thankful for books in general.
Books, thank you for:
1. letting me escape. I read all day every day at work and I often get asked how I can stand to read more when I get home. Reading fiction and indeed non-fiction is not the same type of reading as at work. Reading at home is leisure – I am not on a deadline, I don’t need to interpret it – I can just enjoy it. Reading for pleasure allows me to escape – to shut off from the real world. In some of the most difficult times of my life this has proved invaluable.
2. teaching me new things. Reading will expand your horizons. That is a fact. The amount I learn about different cultures (e.g. Wild Swans) and different perspectives (e.g. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time) is phenomenal and it is what continues to encourage me to read ‘outside of my comfort zone’.
3. being so wide ranging. Related to number 2: You can, if you want to, read one genre and one genre only and that is OK. There are enough books out there (old and new) that allow you to do that but what is great is that you can dip in and out of genres if you want to and broaden your horizons.
4. never being too old. I am currently re-reading Wuthering Heights and I recently re-read The BFG (reviews due within a week of both) and reading them again didn’t make me feel like I had outgrown the books. If anything, I have re-read both classics completely differently as I did when I first read them. You don’t always get that from TV!
5. smelling wonderful! I know this sounds silly but is there anything better than opening up a new book and giving it a sniff?
6. being beautiful objects to hold and to look at. I recently wrote a blog post on my favourite book covers here: Confession: I Am A Cover Judger and the response I got on social media was phenomenal…thanks for letting me be so shallow, books!
7. never running out of battery. I have an iPhone, a work phone, an iPad, a Mac, a work laptop etc. All of which lose power. There is only so many times I can look at the internet in all its guises until all of these devices die. Books, my good ol’ faithful, never let me down. You’re always there – in my handbag – and will never die on me.
8. allowing my imagination to be far better than any movie producer! Surely every Harry Potter fan will agree with me on this one!
9. being the best holiday companion. I have been on holiday with family, friends and on my own. What is in my suitcase without fail? At least two books. Standard. That way, I can savour the sights of the new place I am in with a good ol’ book. It is a great way to get out of sticking with the family and friends for prolonged periods of time when it all gets a bit too much!
10. last but not least, introducing me to this wonderful book community through this blog. If it weren’t for my love for books I am not sure what I would do with 60% of my spare time! What with attending book events, writing this blog, reading other blogs, being obsessed with Bookstagram and actually reading books this is a full time hobby and for that books, and to the lovely followers who like and comment on my posts, I thank you.
I hope you enjoyed that post and I will look forward to reading all of your Top Ten Tuesdays!!